Albany Symphony Development & Marketing Assistant
Reports to: Annual Fund and Grants Manager
About the Albany Symphony: The Albany Symphony is an orchestra dedicated to celebrating our living musical heritage and the music of our time. Through brilliant live performances, innovative educational programs, and engaging cultural events, the Albany Symphony is committed to serving a broad and diverse community. Based in the New York Capital Region, the Albany Symphony has won numerous national and local awards and recognition for its adventurous programming, recording projects (including two GRAMMY® awards), composer residencies, and in-school programs. The Albany Symphony’s current operating budget is $2.3 million with a growing portion of revenue from subscription and group sales.
Summary: The Development and Marketing Assistant provides administrative support for Albany Symphony fundraising, marketing, and ticket sales. As the first line of contact for many of the Albany Symphony’s ticket buyers and donors, the Development and Marketing Assistant is a key ambassador of the organization.
The Development and Marketing Assistant reports to the Annual Fund and Grants Manager and is an integral part of a five-person department. The position is ideal for a motivated, team player with a keen attention to detail and the ability to multitask within a fast-paced work environment, and for someone eager to learn and grow in the field of nonprofit / performing arts development. The Albany Symphony welcomes candidates from ALAANA communities. We especially encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups in classical music to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- With oversight from the Annual Fund and Grants Manager, coordinate donor benefits and fulfillment.
- Process gifts and assist in preparing gift acknowledgements in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with the Annual Fund and Grants Manager on donor listings for program books, website, and other recognition.
- Assist with donor and other development events as needed.
- Stewardship work and other duties as assigned.
Marketing / Box Office
- Process ticket sales on the phone, in person and at events, providing high-quality customer service.
- Coordinate the production schedule and materials for the program book.
- Assist with Group Sales fulfillment as directed, collaborating with the Events and Partnerships Associate.
- Staff all concerts/performances aiding the Box Office and Marketing Coordinator in front of house preparation and execution.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Serve as first point of contact for callers and walk-in visitors to the office.
- Oversee office management responsibilities including supply ordering, filing, and general tidiness.
- Manage the office schedule.
- Act as a liaison to the board of directors under the direction of the Executive Director and the Director of Development and Marketing.
Skills and Qualifications
- Associates degree with two years of customer relations experience required. Bachelor’s degree with customer service experience preferred.
- Previous ticketing experience and familiarity with donor tracking preferred.
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work well with people across a diverse patron base.
- Strong organizational skills and attention of detail.
- Ability to think quickly and solve problems creatively.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledgeable and passionate about the arts. Knowledge of orchestral music is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary starting at $28k and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, parking, sick leave, personal days, holidays, and vacation days.
Please send your resume and a cover letter describing how your qualifications make you a strong candidate for this position to:
Amanda Irwin, Annual Fund and Grants Manager