Chief Program Officer – Food Access
The Chief Program Officer position reports directly to the CEO and is a member of Capital Roots’ Executive Team.
• Expand access to fresh, healthy affordable foods in our region through Capital Roots’ Retail Food Access Programs: The Veggie Mobile® and the Veggie Mobile® Sprout, Healthy Stores Program, Urban Grow Center Market and other pop-ups opportunities.
• Expand opportunities for local farms and small producers to sell their products through Capital Roots’ Food Hub for wholesale channels (day care centers, schools, food pantries, community centers and more).
• Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience and 5 years of management experience
• Commitment to our local food system, healthy food access and a passion for Capital Roots’ mission
• Proven staff and project management skills with the ability to support and train managers
• Solid grasp of budget management, data analysis and goal setting with accountability
• Position requires an organized and self-motivated candidate with knowledge of produce storage and food safety, excellent customer service and communication skills
• Resourceful, creative problem-solver focused on pragmatic and effective solutions, maintaining focus on the big picture while paying attention to details
• Experience working with diverse communities, a positive attitude, high energy level and the ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Must also have a valid driver's license and a driving record acceptable for insurance coverage.
- Oversight of all food access and food hub programming for Capital Roots. This includes providing strategic direction, goal setting, new program development and direct supervision of managers.
- Supervise two managers and support their team members to ensure achievement of programmatic goals
- Provide direction to team on recruiting and serving customers and site promotion to maximize local food procurement and community-focused programs striving to increase fresh, healthy food access in our communities with excellent customer service
- Direct team on regular reporting and data collection efforts including those associated with programmatic outputs, local food purchasing, finances, grant deliverables and others requirements as needed
- Maintain and build trusted relationships with key partners and stakeholders
- Analyze internal operations to enhance efficiency and effectiveness
- Working with Capital Roots’ Executive Team, actualize the organization’s 5-year Strategic plan, turning strategies into actionable goals for performance and impact, helping to integrate organization-wide goal setting, performance management and annual operating planning
- Collaborate with other members of the Capital Roots’ Management Team to create cross-program collaboration and efficiency, create staff development opportunities and cultivate our unique organizational culture
- Work closely with Capital Roots’ CEO to help achieve the organization’s mission and strengthen programming
- Perform other duties as assigned
SALARY & BENEFITS: This position is a full-time exempt position with a salary of $75,000 per year. Excellent benefits including fully paid comprehensive medical insurance and partially covered dental insurance upon hire (benefit valued at ~$8,000). In addition to generous vacation time, we observe 11 paid holidays and offer paid personal and sick time. You also have the option to enroll in our 403b retirement plan and are eligible for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness program.
About Capital Roots: Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to cultivate and nourish communities by creating equitable access to fresh foods and green space in support of a robust regional food system. To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org.
Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We seek to foster diversity across our organization and welcome the unique contributions our team members make based on their diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and lived experiences.
Send cover letter and resume (no calls please) to:
Amy Klein, Chief Executive Officer | 594 River Street, Troy NY 12180 | email: email@example.com