Community Engagement Director
About Capital Roots
Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh foods and green space for all.
- Bachelor’s Degree or greater and 3-5 years of non-profit, holistic development experience.
- Excellent management and communication abilities to work effectively independently and within team settings.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment, meeting multiple deadlines with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Must have a high energy level, ability to work with a diverse community and possess a genuine interest in the mission of Capital Roots.
- Supervise and support a five-member team to ensure achievement of development, communication and volunteer goals
- Work directly with Capital Roots’ CEO to help achieve the organization’s mission, implement all comprehensive community engagement plans and assist with capital campaign.
- Update and guide annual development plan – events, direct mail, corporate, grants, personal solicitations, planned giving and donor cultivation/stewardship
- Support Development Coordinator in their work on donation processing and record keeping, donor acknowledgments and pledge reminders and solicitation mailings
- Support Events Coordinator in execution of three special events each year and in solicitation of in-kind and monetary donations, planning and implementation of cultivation events and relationship building with the business community
- Support Grants Writer in their work on private and public funding applications ,reports and tracking
- Update and guide annual marketing plan – public relations, social media, media partnerships and marketing
- Support Marketing Coordinator to ensure the organization is being presented as a leader in the community, language and tools are used appropriately for various audiences, and communications deadlines are met
- Update and guide annual volunteer plan – recruit, steward and track
- Support Volunteer Coordinator in their work recruiting, training, cultivating and stewarding our volunteers; arrange for group volunteer opportunities in coordination with all programs; and tracking volunteer involvement.
- Collaborate with other members of the Capital Roots Management Team to create cross-program collaboration and efficiency, create staff development opportunities and cultivate our unique organizational culture
USEFUL KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS:
- Working knowledge and experience with donor database (we use NEON CRM)
- Knowledge of the Capital Region and its donor and business community
- Requires a highly-organized, self-motivated and collaborative team player who is committed to our mission
SALARY & BENEFITS: This position is a full-time exempt position with a salary of $46,000, within a flexible work environment. We offer comprehensive medical insurance and partially covered dental insurance upon hire (benefit of ~$7,600). In addition to generous vacation time, we observe 11 paid holidays – including three floating holidays – and offer paid personal and sick time. You also have the option to enroll in our 403b retirement plan and are eligible for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness program.
To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org. Capital Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position, especially candidates of color. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We will not discriminate in our hiring on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.
Send cover letter and resume to:
Amy Klein, CEO
Capital Roots, 594 River Street, Troy NY 12180
Or by email: email@example.com
(no calls please!)