Cook - Daycare Nutrition Specialist
Join our caring, community focused team and help give kids a Head Start!
Responsible for the ordering, cooking, serving, and documentation of meals and snacks for our Clifton Park Daycare site. Will prepare meals received from other vendors but also create and follow menus and handle all phases of kitchen operations. Will interact with children during meal time to ensure a positive and healthy experience!
- Cooks, prepares and serves food as directed and prepares menus as approved by registered dietitian/nutritionist.
- Maintains inventory for all necessary supplies, food and equipment. Ensures proper safety and storage. Coordinates storage of food and food related items from vendors.
- Oversees full kitchen operations in conjunction with Program Aide (depending on size and scope of workload).
- Implements a cost effective food service program according to federal, state and local regulations by controlling food and labor costs.
- Reassignment as necessary to various kitchens/centers for program operations. Will assist in the classroom or daycare office as needed.
Position offers a starting rate of $16.90 per hour. Position works 35 hours per week for 44 weeks per year, location is closed for the summer.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
High School Diploma/GED and coursework or training in cooking, nutrition, and food service.
Cooking experience along with menu and food preparation in a cafeteria setting.
Knowledge of healthy food options and ideas for young children.
Nutrition, basic food preparation and food sanitation knowledge.
Shopping required as well as inventory control knowledge. Experience with food service vendors.
- Will be required to lift up to 40 pounds of kitchen supplies and equipment.
Must be willing and able to obtain and maintain ServSafe Certification, Basic First Aid/ CPR.
- Some evenings and weekend work may occasionally be required for events such as parent teacher conferences, parent committee meetings and community events.
Acceptable tuberculosis screening results and an initial health exam are required post job offer and prior to employment.
- Computer skills and knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel, Google Docs, Zoom or other online meeting platforms. Familiarity with mobile devices, online training platforms and software applications helpful.
- Provide customer service that is responsive to the unique needs and culture of families, such as single parents, grandparents as caregivers, co-parenting relationships, LGTBQ families, non-English speaking, teen parents, domestic violence situations and more.
- Must have a valid license, possess a vehicle for shopping as needed and be insurable to drive an agency vehicle on roads in varying weather conditions.
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Paid Vacation, Paid Personal, Paid Sick Time
- Paid School Breaks
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan with a company match
- Employee Assistance Plan
LifeWorks Community Action, formerly Saratoga County Economic Opportunity Council, is a nonprofit that helps thousands of neighbors each year overcome the challenges of poverty by providing food, early childhood education, energy services, health and wellness, and immigrant services. Popular programs include The Pantry in Ballston Spa and The Kitchen in Saratoga Springs, as well as Head Start, WIC and Weatherization. Help Starts Here.
LifeWorks Community Action promotes diversity, equity and inclusion in all agency programs and services. We welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds who embrace and support an inclusive and equitable work environment.