New York eHealth Collaborative: Data Engineer
New York eHealth Collaborative (NYeC) is a not-for-profit organization working in partnership with the New York State Department of Health to improve healthcare by collaboratively leading, connecting, and integrating health information exchange across the State.
Founded in 2006 by healthcare leaders, NYeC works to help New York State achieve the Triple Aim of improving the patient experience of care, delivering better health outcomes, and reducing costs. On behalf of the State, NYeC leads the Statewide Health Information Network for New York (SHIN-NY), a network connecting healthcare providers statewide, develops policies and standards that support the utilization of health technologies, and assists healthcare providers in adopting and effectively using electronic health records.
NYeC is propelling healthcare forward by facilitating the use of new and innovative technologies that will improve patient care. Healthcare is undergoing an unprecedented transformation through digital health—do you want to be at the center of it in New York State?
Employees must be fully vaccinated in accordance with NYeC’s policy before beginning employment with NYeC and present proof prior to their start date, unless they have requested and been granted an exemption or accommodation (based on disability/medical condition or a sincerely-held religious belief).
NYeC is seeking a Data Engineer, that is responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining optimal data pipeline architectures using Amazon native tools and Snowflake. This role will be based out of our Albany, NY or Manhattan, NY office. This role reports to the Director, Application Development and Integration.
At this time, this role has a hybrid work schedule. All staff are required to work in the office 1 day per week (currently Tuesdays). There are then 30 additional in-person days that are expected each year on top of the 1 day required per week. Stakeholder visits, all staff meeting days, development days, and conference attendance count towards the additional 30 days. This schedule is subject to change.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on different projects for specific products, processes, or applications.
- Develop and maintain scalable data pipelines and build out new API integrations to support continuing increases in data volume and complexity.
- Develop comprehensive schema designs that effectively address the needs of the business and support data-driven decision-making processes.
- Data Fidelity Assurance: Establish and maintain data fidelity standards to ensure accurate, timely, and consistent data throughout all platforms and systems. This includes implementing various data verification and validation techniques to ensure data reliability and accuracy.
- Data Quality: Develop and maintain high data quality standards that comply with company guidelines, HITRUST requirements, and other regulatory requirements. This will involve creating data governance frameworks, implementing processes to monitor and control data quality, and ensuring compliance with HITRUST standards.
- Integration and Collaboration: Collaborate with stakeholders, other data teams, and software engineers to integrate systems and data better and enable smooth data flow across various business applications.
- Troubleshoot and document interoperability issues and their probable causes.
- Serve as a thought leader within the team to identify opportunities for modernization and process improvements to serve our partners.
- Coordinate and forecast work for self and others working on owned solutions.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Deep understanding of data architecture, data modeling, and ETL processes. Proficiency in SQL, Python, and knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) ecosystem, especially Amazon Snowflake, is essential.
- 3+ years of experience in Cloud platforms such as Azure or AWS and achievement of a professional level certification with Amazon required.
- Experience with high volume data processing using relevant cloud technologies (Snowflake, Redshift, Databricks etc.) and designing solutions for reliability and performance at scale.
- Ability to write complex SQL to analyze and troubleshoot data anomalies.
- Experience with healthcare and e-prescribing related technologies and standards (FHIR, HAPI FHIR, meaningful use, Familiarity with HL7 FHIR) a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to seek out, analyze, and solve novel problems.
- Ability to organize with exceptional attention to detail.
- Able to work independently and within a team environment.
We consider a wide range of factors when determining compensation, which may cause compensation to vary depending on your skills, experience, qualifications, and home office location (Manhattan, NY vs. Albany, NY). The annual base salary range for this role for an Albany based candidate is $80,000 - $100,000. The annual base salary range for this role for a NYC based candidate is $100,000 – $120,000. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate’s salary history at other jobs, and by law, NYeC will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with NYeC. All compensation questions and comments should be directed to the HR Department representative during your application, interview, and hiring process.
NYeC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with everything listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
For more information about NYeC and to apply for this position, visit our website at https://www.nyehealth.org/careers/. We accept online applications only. If you need to request an accommodation or need any assistance completing this job application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. NYeC is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled.