Capital Roots is seeking a full-time Deputy Director. Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh foods and green space for all. For more information visit capitalroots.org.
The Deputy Director reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and will provide leadership for Capital Roots’ internal programs, development, administrative and human capital.
Program - enhancing program approaches, delivering high-quality client services and managing written products
Development – actively managing internal development to take full advantage of all fundraising and marketing opportunities
Administrative - information technology, reporting, facilities
Human – Human Resources, mentoring and culture
The Deputy Director will partner closely with the CEO to chart Capital Roots’ future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s services. The Deputy Director will oversee internal functions freeing up the CEO to focus more on external matters such as strategic expansion, strategic fundraising, public relations, and partnerships.
- Serve as second-in-command to the CEO and as a member of the Senior Leadership Team;
- Oversee all daily operations and reports directly to the CEO, ensuring that all operations are smooth, efficient and that CEO goals filter into day-to-day management;
- Establish productive working relationships between and among the Director’s Team, CEO and the staff to ensure that Capital Roots operates productively;
- Provide oversight for Capital Roots' budget, development and external relations activities;
- Build and cultivate a high-performing senior leadership team and play an active role in attracting, retaining and developing a dedicated best-in-class staff;
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems to deliver state-of-the-art, outstanding programs with an eye toward future needs and client service;
- Actively manage internal development operations; participate in identifying and cultivating corporate, individual and foundation supporters;
- Cultivate excellent relationships with local media; provide oversight for Capital Roots' presence in social media;
- In the absence of the CEO, serve as a public representative of Capital Roots helping to keep Capital Roots a current and an active participant in regional and community events;
- Prepare annual budget and monitor expenses in conjunction with Operations Director and CEO;
- Draft, edit, and review written materials;
- Other duties as assigned by agency CEO.
Key Credentials and Personal Qualities
- At least 3 to 5 years successful experience in a senior leadership position in a nonprofit organization
- Passionate about Capital Roots’ mission and impact
- Commitment to results; "can-do" mindset with emphasis on accountability
- Strong motivational and staff leadership abilities
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- BSc/BA in Business Administration or relevant field
- Understanding of business functions such as Human Resources, Finance, Marketing
- Experience in fundraising
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, for-profit and nonprofit, and from diverse backgrounds
- Spark, imagination, creativity, flexibility
- Remain focused in the face of pressure, delivers against timelines, not intimidated by tasks/time limitations
Competitive salary and benefit packages include fully paid medical insurance at hire, dental coverage (75%), and retirement plans. Flexible hours, including some evenings and occasional weekends. Generous paid time off. We seek to foster diversity across our organization and welcome the unique contributions our team members make based on their diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and lived experiences.
For consideration, please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Amy Klein, CEO
594 River Street |Troy NY 12180 or email@example.com
No Calls Please