Director of Business Development
The position leads the Center for Economic Growth’s Business Growth Solutions (BGS) and Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) program’s business development activities in the Capital Region. It is a critical role in developing new manufacturing company relationships, maintaining existing manufacturing client relationships, securing new consulting projects with those clients, and driving regional economic impacts. The role will require engaging regularly with Capital Region manufacturers to identify opportunities to help them by leveraging the services and resources of the MEP program.
Activities include marketing BGS and MEP services and programs, qualifying and tracking leads, developing project proposals, identifying project grant opportunities, identifying internal and external resources to deliver on projects, and conducting follow up impact surveys. Additionally in this role you will conduct different business assessments using various tools/techniques to assist manufacturing and technology companies in identifying gaps and prioritizing investments.
The BGS and MEP team at CEG work collaboratively with clients by providing a variety of services and support to help them drive top initiatives to increase sales, improve margins, process improvements, and drive corporate value. You can learn more at our website:
CEG uses Salesforce CRM to manage our client base, projects, and other data on a day-to-day basis and is an instrumental tool to the success in this position.
The successful candidate for this position should possess at least a bachelor’s degree in Business Management/Administration, Industrial Management, Manufacturing/Engineering Management, or other related field with at least 6 years of experience and have a proven track record in business development/sales for at least 3 years. Computer proficiency is a must, including Microsoft Office Suite, relational database CRM systems (ideally Salesforce), survey platforms, and use of other online productivity tools. The candidate must be organized and able to work in a fast-paced team environment and manage several ongoing projects. A successful candidate will also have strong personable skills, be a quick learner, adaptable, pays attention to details, and a proactive and problem-solving work ethic.
Job Functions & Tasks:
- Business Development – 85%
- Engage with new and existing manufacturing clients through exploratory meetings and assessments
- Develop project proposals and quotes leveraging internal and external delivery resources
- Identify and help manage applications and reports for project grants, i.e., Fuzehub, National Grid, Workforce Development Institute (WDI), New York Electric and Gas (NYSEG), etc.
- Assist marketing team in developing website content, social media, and email marketing to drive program leads
- Support field staff on-location during training sessions
- Business Process & Documentation – 10%
- Maintain client, partner, and third-party contract information in CRM and federal systems
- Support greater team with contracts reporting activities including client surveys, success stories, and quarterly financial reporting
- Coordinate with staff to improve and further develop BGS business processes and assist in implementation and maintenance of business process flow of the Salesforce CRM system
- Other Related Program Activities – 5%
- Occasionally support other staff members with various program and event efforts
Requirements & Qualifications (including education, special knowledge, certifications, skills, etc.):
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management/Administration, Industrial Management, Manufacturing/Engineering Management or other related field
- Proven track record of sales and client management
- Willingness and ability to occasionally attend various events beyond regular office hours
- Computer proficiency (i.e., Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, web-based productivity platforms)
- Experience in basic accounting practices, budgets, and project quoting
- Experience using a Customer Management Systems (CRM) to track lead and client activity, Salesforce preferred
- Ability to make deadlines, work proactively, multi-task, and have excellent organizational skills
- Travel (Regionally 8 counties and sometimes across the state) 50-60%
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate on experience and includes commissions.
The Center for Economic Growth is an affiliate of the Capital Region Chamber of Commerce. The Capital Region Chamber believes that full potential is realized when diversity, equity, and inclusion
are the standards upon which we strengthen and impact our businesses and communities. As an
advocate for regional businesses, the Chamber – through its leadership, actions, educational
programming, and community collaboration – is committed to cultivating inclusive economic
opportunity for all who call our region home. The Capital Region Chamber is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Please submit cover letter and resume to Michael Lobsinger, email@example.com.