Director of Finance
The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, a nonprofit civil legal services program, is seeking an experienced Director of Finance. Legal Aid’s mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society which is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community, and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities. For more information about our work, our staff, and our clients, visit www.lasnny.org.
The position is located in Albany, New York, the state capital, a lively, family friendly city with a reasonable cost of living, excellent quality of life, and easy access to major metropolitan areas as well as year-round outdoor opportunities. Our office is a collegial and supportive workplace.
Designs, manages, and implements on a day-to-day basis the organization’s financial system. Overall responsibility for finances of a $17milllion not-for-profit law firm.
Accountable To: Executive Director (ED)
Accountable For: Senior Accountant and Staff Accountant
- Design, in consultation with our Auditor, the Executive Director (ED), and the Board Executive/Finance Committee, a financial system to meet the fiscal needs of LASNNY.
- Maintain and oversee the financial systems, including selection of software, entry of data, and production of appropriate output.
- Issue monthly financial reports, analyze fiscal data and make recommendations to the ED regarding budget preparation, cash flow status, budget compliance and changes, any anticipated problems, and other steps necessary to prevent financial problems. Perform related responsibilities as requested by the Executive Director
- Determine, install, and implement, with the approval of the ED, internal fiscal controls to assure that all funds are properly accounted for and spent only in accordance with LASNNY policy.
- In conjunction with the ED, meet with the Board Executive/Finance Committee and Board of Directors to review facts and discuss financial policies and practices.
- Prepare monthly and annual reports on financial affairs as required by funding sources or the ED or the Board Executive/Finance Committee.
- Prepare budgets for new funding applications, grant renewals, and reports and present to ED or designee for approval.
- Monitor grant spending and provide spend down reports and six-month forecasts to ED quarterly and to EMT/Program Managers bi-annually.
- Prepare for the annual audit. Prepare RFP for auditing services and evaluate same in conjunction with the ED and the Board Executive/Finance Committee as requested. Staff the Board Audit Committee. Provide the auditors with whatever records they need. Review the audit in draft and final form and make recommendations to the ED. Maintain relations with the auditors and, at the request of the ED, assess their performance.
- Supervise Senior Accountant and Staff Accountant.
- Maintain relations with all Divisions of the Legal Services Corporation. Be knowledgeable of the fiscal and compliance requirements for LSC recipients and other funders and, with the ED, assure those requirements are met.
- Maintain relations on financial operations with all funding sources.
- Maintain the general ledger and supervise the accounts payable, accounts receivable processes including bill pay, deposits and voucher submissions.
- Supervise the accounts payable process. In conjunction with the Senior and Staff Accountants, ensure that bills are paid timely. Monitor cash flow and consult with ED to prioritize payment of accounts as needed. Maintain relations with vendors.
- Manage the accounts receivables. Assure that all funds received are deposited promptly. Prepare and submit vouchers as necessary to funders. Supervise the Senior Accountant and Staff Accountant in the preparation of various voucher submissions.
- Manage bank accounts. Maintain relations with our banks.
- Supervise the preparation of the computerized payroll and assure timely preparation of payroll by the Payroll Company. Review and approve reports produced by the Payroll Company.
- Manage client trust accounts.
- Development and periodic updating of LASNNY’s Financial Policy and Procedures Manual subject to the review of the ED.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field of nonprofit accounting, legal services financial community, and human resource administration.
- Work with program in the ongoing determination and implementation of his/her professional development plan including, e.g., mentoring by more experienced staff, formal training, on-the-job training, and personal study.
- Participate in development and improvement of LASNNY through staff task forces, committees, meetings, and other means.
- Participate in key role as part of LASNNY’s Executive Management Team (EMT). Cooperate with other members of the EMT, offices, and program to develop effective teamwork and make LASNNY institutionally strong.
- BA/BS in Accounting or Finance. CPA preferred.
- 10 years’ experience in equivalent leadership/fiscal management in a law firm or nonprofit.
- Experience using computerized accounting system (Fund EZ or comparable grant accounting software)
- Good communication skills and ability to work with staff, private and public investors, and vendors.
- Valid NY driver’s license and own transportation.
- Ability to work with diverse staff and clients.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and the mission of the Legal Aid Society.
Salary: Up to $100,000, DOE
We have excellent fringe benefits including: Three weeks of paid vacation in year one (four weeks in year two) as well as generous sick and personal leave time available immediately to the employee. Complimentary group term life insurance and long-term disability coverage. Expansive health insurance coverage with most of the premium employer paid. Other benefits include, dental, vision, FSA, an employer contributed retirement plan and many more.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
No applications will be accepted without cover letter, resume, and references.
To apply, please go to https://www.lasnny.org/employment/job-opportunities/director-of-finance/
LASNNY is committed to the creation of an inclusive and diverse workplace and providing Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action to all applicants. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, the elderly and people with disabilities.