Disability Advocacy Project (DAP) Managing Attorney
LEGAL AID SOCIETY OF NORTHEASTERN NEW YORK
Disability Advocacy Project (DAP) Managing Attorney
Reports to: Deputy Director
Located in New York, must live in NYS
Full-time, Min 35hr/ week, with occasional work requirements outside of normal work hours
Rate – $90,000-115,000, DOE, plus generous benefits
The Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York, a nonprofit civil legal services program, is seeking a Managing Attorney for our Disability Advocacy Project (DAP). Legal Aid’s mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society that is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community, and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities. Our service area spans sixteen counties, in upstate New York, encompassing six regional offices. This position can be based out of any of our six offices. For more information about our work, our staff, and our clients, visit www.lasnny.org.
The Disability Advocacy Project (DAP) Managing Attorney supervises staff based out of several different offices. The Managing Attorney will oversee the provision of high-quality civil legal services to clients as specified below. The successful applicant will be committed to excellence, and passionate about achieving justice. The MA will be a creative and zealous lawyer, a strong administrator and supervisor, and a team player who enjoys leading and mentoring others. Prior management or supervisory experience working with staff, including law clerks, is preferred.
- Member in good standing of the New York State Bar or eligible for admission on motion;
- Minimum of seven years of legal experience, including litigation;
- Social Security Administration (SSA) disability advocacy experience;
- Excellent administrative skills; and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Available to travel, work weekends and evenings as needed; and
- Reliable transportation and a current NYS Driver License.
- Prior legal work supervision;
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income persons with prior experience in legal services or similar program;
- At least five years' experience with SSA disability advocacy;
- Extensive experience and skill using the Microsoft suite and Windows 365, including Outlook, SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; and
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Additional Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent organizational skills including ability to multi-task and prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and manage your time and the time of your supervisees;
- Excellent writing and communications skills including writing content, reports, memorandum, motions, appeals, and public speaking and oral presentations;
- Extensive experience working with people with disabilities, across multiple categories;
- Extensive knowledge and experience conducting client interviews, depositions and interrogatories;
- Ability to respond effectively to supervisee’s needs, client’s needs, and the needs of the organization; and
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
Managing Attorney Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The Managing Attorney will supervise staff attorneys, paralegals, interns, clerks representing clients whose applications for Social Security Disability Benefits and/or Supplemental Security income (SSI) benefits have been denied by the Social Security Administration (SSA) or whose receipt of such benefits terminated, and others as needed.
- The work involves cases at all levels of the SSA administrative appeals process and in United States District Court.
- Supervise staff funded by the DAP grant; oversee the day-to-day operations of the DAP grant; lead strategic engagement with, and education of community members, groups and other stakeholders; work with executive management team and staff to plan and coordinate work of your program; ensure timely adherence to program and case handling standards, funder requirements and the highest professional standards;
- Guide the professional development of staff; and
- Work collaboratively as a team with other programs.
This position operates in a professional law office environment and occasionally may require the carrying of items of up to 20 pounds. This role requires the use of standard office equipment and software and remote videoconferencing platforms. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Application Deadline: June 29, or until filled
Please note that the salary is based on experience, plus generous benefits, including paid time off, holidays, medical/dental/vision insurance, retirement contributions, tuition reimbursement, and qualifying moving expenses. LASNNY offers flexible hybrid-remote and alternative work schedule options.
At LASNNY we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, older adults and people with disabilities.
If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at LASNNY and we will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Applications will not be reviewed without cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample. You must combine your documents into a single document in order to upload them to our website.
Complete the Demographic Survey linked here