OBJECTIVE: To strengthen the local food system by expanding access to healthy, affordable foods in our region. This will be done by working directly with farmers and producers, to sell their products - both directly and indirectly - to our entire customer base ranging from individuals to institutions, as well as supporting our organizational mission.
This position works closely with multiple programs to provide them with access to high quality, locally-sourced foods. This position requires early morning shifts Monday through Friday. During the local growing season shifts will begin as early as 5 a.m, in the off season, the shift begins at 7:30am.
QUALIFICATIONS: 1-2 years of relevant work experience required, Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required. Computer (mainly excel and google sheets) and communication skills are essential; previous experience with wholesale-market purchasing is a plus. Must have a valid driver's license with the ability to drive and a driving record acceptable for insurance coverage, ability to lift 50 lbs., a positive attitude, experience working with diverse communities, a love of fresh food and possess a genuine interest in the mission of our organization.
- Organize and conduct all food hub purchases from local markets and directly from producers, acting as the chief buyer for Capital Roots.
- Manage and maintain a working produce inventory for all programs within the food hub with a focus on sourcing products from our regional foodshed.
- Coordinate retail and wholesale pricing of all produce and value-added items being sold through the food hub.
- Coordinate the ordering, allocation and transportation of all food hub-based deliveries and pick-ups, to ensure effective and efficient outcomes for producers, customers, and organizational resources.
- Assist Food Hub Director with all food hub finances, including budgeting, invoicing, maintaining accurate accounting reports, as well as data collection related to grants and program monitoring.
- Assist Food Hub Director to ensure that food safety procedures and aggregation protocols are executed effectively and in line with state and federal mandates.
- Assist the Food Hub Team as needed to support their program operations.
- Must participate in Capital Roots events, staff meetings and perform all other duties as needed.
SALARY & BENEFITS: This position is a full-time position (40 hours per week) paid at an annual rate of $30,680 per year, in a flexible work environment We offer comprehensive medical insurance and partially covered dental insurance upon hire (benefit valued at ~$7,800). In addition to generous vacation time, we observe 11 paid holidays and offer paid personal and sick time. You also have the option to enroll in our 403b retirement plan and are eligible for the Public Student Loan Forgiveness program.
About Capital Roots: Capital Roots is striving to create a more vibrant and equitable food system in New York’s Capital Region. We work to reduce the impact of poor nutrition on public health in New York’s Capital Region by organizing community gardens, providing healthy food access, offering nutritional and horticultural education for all ages and coordinating urban greening programs in Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady and southern Saratoga Counties. Our mission is to nourish healthy communities by providing access to fresh foods and green space for all.
To learn more about Capital Roots, go to www.capitalroots.org. We seek to foster diversity across our organization and welcome the unique contributions our team members make based on their diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and lived experiences.
Send cover letter and resume (no calls please!) to:
Marissa Peck, Retail Markets Director
Capital Roots, 594 River Street, Troy NY 12180
Or by email: email@example.com