Immigrant Services Specialist
The Immigrant Services Specialist serves a crucial role in providing bilingual services and support to immigrants and their families in Saratoga, Washington and Warren Counties through LifeWorks Immigrant Services Program. The Specialist will be clients’ primary point of contact with the agency and will assist them in accessing local resources, interpreting at appointments, and making appropriate referrals. Will also provide assistance with issues including employment, housing, finances, health and education services.
Candidate must be fluent in both Spanish and English and be comfortable using a language line to provide direct bilingual customer service and support through assessment, service planning, referral, and advocacy processes. Must be able to demonstrate effective crisis management, good judgment, and have excellent communication skills.
Full-time candidate needed to:
- Complete primary intake, assessment and case management/mentoring for immigrant customers in crisis and emergency situations involving homelessness, hunger, domestic violence, mental health, and substance abuse.
- Provide interpretation with respect to medical, educational and legal services.
- Advocate and interpret for customers to secure access to and assistance from appropriate resources.
- Conduct program and educational outreach to the immigrant population in Saratoga County.
- Promote and assist with ESL classes.
- Maintain updated client case files and record of services.
- Assist in planning, scheduling and monitoring community projects.
- Certify to be a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) tax preparer.
- Assist in the department as needed with advocacy duties.
- Bilingual/ Bi-Cultural - must have the ability to read, write, and communicate with high proficiency in both Spanish and English, as well as demonstrate an understanding of or ability to relate to Latinx/Latin American cultures and heritage.
- Working knowledge of government, healthcare, legal and social services programs. Must have knowledge of issues faced by low-income individuals and families.
- Experience in performing basic social needs assessments, crisis intervention, case management/mentoring, and advocacy.
- Excellent communication and computer skills are required.
- Must be able to maintain composure in challenging situations.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate volunteers.
- Must be able to lift 40lbs.
- Valid Driver’s License is required.
Compensation: This position offers a starting rate of $16.00 per hour.
LifeWorks Community Action, formerly Saratoga County Economic Opportunity Council, is a nonprofit that helps thousands of neighbors each year overcome the challenges of poverty by providing food, early childhood education, energy services, health and wellness, and immigrant services. Popular programs include The Pantry in Ballston Spa and The Kitchen in Saratoga Springs, as well as Head Start, WIC and Weatherization. Help Starts Here.