Information Associate - Call Center
Responsible for administrative processes and support functions for Whitney M. Young, Jr., Health Services clinical programs.
· Assists patient in completing all registration information including but not limited to demographics, insurance/financial information and case assignment, consents, data collection, portal signup; and enters information into the electronic health record.
· Verifies insurance information including but not limited to eligibility for the specific service and visit, copay amount, PCP.
· Assists patients in completing the application for the sliding fee discount program.
· Follows all payment collection processes including but not limited to collect payment from the patient, enter information into the electronic health record, provide patient with a receipt, daily reconciliation of receipts collected, deposit payment in the secure drop box.
· Completes checkout process including but not limited to scheduling the next visit as indicated, providing patient with complete documentation.
· Handles appointment scheduling/rescheduling/cancellation functions following established protocols, including but not limited to proper patient identification, provider or specialty specific guidelines, visit type and status usage, accurate reason, address and phone verification, case assignment, rx eligibility.
· Takes message and sends to the appropriate staff person following established protocols which include but are not limited to handling emergent calls, other prioritization, correct patient contact information, complete and accurate message.
· Provides assistance and general information to patients, visitors, or staff as requested in regards to all WYH sites such as hours of operation, services provided, procedures performed, specific information in regards to special event activities, etc.
· Proactively contacts patients either via phone, fax, letter, etc. as indicated for a variety of purposes, such as appointment changes, data collection, information update.
· Use paging system when necessary and remains knowledgeable in regards to emergency procedures, codes, and how to reach staff in order to assist during drills or real life situations.
· Ability to communicate with patients in a professional and equitable manner recognizing our diverse population in regards to differences such as age, gender preference, ethnicity, language, etc.
· Consistently greets patients in a pleasant manner and communicates any prolonged visit time.
· Maintains efficient, effective flow of patients by following work flow priorities.
· Ensures work areas are fully stocked with office supplies and relevant forms
· Ensure daily reports are run including forms necessary for downtime procedures.
· Collects and distributes medically necessary forms to provider staff for patients, eg: disability, pre-employment, school entry, etc. and assists patients when forms are complete.
· Remains knowledgeable about and completes the procedures related to release of information for patient records.
· Plans for and demonstrates flexibility in personal workflow in response to unit workload.
· Maintains responsibility for attendance and punctuality.
· Assists with orienting new employees.
· Demonstrates excellence in both internal and external customer service.
· Understands and is able to effectively communicate HIPAA compliance, corporate compliance and client confidentiality.
· Ensures and/or remains in compliance with local, state, and federal regulation, i.e. DHHS HRSA and NYSDOH, and all accreditation standards (e.g. Joint Commission and NCQA-PCMH).
· Adheres to the National Patient Safety Goals as defined by the Joint Commission and Whitney M. Young Jr. Health Center.
· Completes all other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED. One (1) to three (3) years’ experience in a similar role in a medical office, or a service oriented administrative office dealing with the general public. Organizational skills and effective communication skills. Able to work as a member of a team. Word processing/keyboarding skills. Excellent customer service skills, tact and diplomacy required to deal with people under stressful conditions.
Bi-lingual. Knowledge of managed care requirements. Working knowledge of electronic health record software.
Please be aware that as a facility regulated under Article 28 of the New York State Public Health Law, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of employment. Whitney Young Health also requires the COVID-19 booster.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected status.