POSITION: Legal Secretary located in the Albany office of the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York supporting reception, intake, legal staff and the operation of the Albany office. The LASNNY Albany office provides free legal assistance in civil legal matters to low income residents of Albany, Rensselaer, Schenectady, Columbia and Greene Counties. LASNNY’s mission is to fight for fairness, dignity, and justice for those living in poverty and for a society which is inclusive and equitable for all. We transform lives, build community and empower people by using the law to address individual and systemic wrongs and inequities.
- Perform secretarial, clerical and administrative functions necessary to the effective representation of clients and the administration of the Albany office, such as preparation of legal documents, grant reporting, non-legal work product, mail sorting, entering reminders in case management system, filing, and assisting in communication between clients, courts, adverse parties and legal staff.
- Substantial computer responsibilities, including data entry of client and case information in the LAS case management system or other data bases.
- Conduct client intake by phone and in person. Share reception and phone coverage duties with other support staff. Manage a complex multi-line telephone system and greet customers and visitors. Work closely with other legal secretaries in the Albany office and other four LASNNY offices, as needed. Work closely with Deputy Director of Strategic Operations, the Managing Attorneys and other staff to ensure that the intake and phone system runs smoothly and effectively.
- Respond to requests for assistance and conduct intake interviews to quickly determine eligibility and the general nature of the legal problem and make initial determinations of programmatic eligibility and case assignment. Provide rudimentary legal information and referrals.
- Provide and coordinate information, referrals, and the provision of brochures and legal information to the public.
- Maintain courteous and professional contact with clients, opposing counsel, courts, visitors, callers and agencies.
- Be a notary public and perform such duties as needed.
- Minimum 5 to 15 years prior secretarial experience including operating a multi line telephone reception system in a busy office setting, with strong preference for legal secretarial experience.
- Experience in managing a multiple line phone system utilized for responding to requests for assistance from the public and following multiple rules and protocols for securing detailed information from callers and determining appropriate response, and contemporaneously entering information obtained and responses provided in computer data base.
- Must be willing and able to learn LASNNY case management system, grant reporting requirements, forms and reporting tools. Be proficient in Microsoft Office and type 50 WPM.
- Must have strong computer skills and experience in utilizing spreadsheets, performing data entry, reporting, and running reports in databases preferred.
- Strong preference for experience in creating spreadsheets or other systems for tracking policies, procedures, case assignments or similar information, managing a significant data base or other reporting systems and being responsible for producing and interpreting accurate reports.
- Must be responsible, reliable, punctual, flexible, detail oriented, well-organized, able to prioritize and think independently, and understand and apply a wide variety of policies and rules. Must be able to work collaboratively in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Must have strong communication skills, understanding and sensitivity to low income persons and demonstrated ability to work well with colleagues in joint projects and implementing office systems.
- Must have car and valid drivers’ license and must be willing to travel as needed within the service area.
- Must be willing to work reasonable overtime when requested.
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus.
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary: $32,102 to $42,842, DOE.
We are a unionized program with excellent fringe benefits including: Three weeks of paid vacation in year one (four weeks in year two) as well as generous sick and personal leave time available immediately to the employee. Complimentary group term life insurance and long-term disability coverage. Expansive health insurance coverage with most of the premium employer paid. Other benefits include, dental, vision, FSA, an employer contributed retirement plan and many more.
A cover letter, resume and references must be submitted with application.
To apply, please
1) Complete the Application linked here(https://ww04.elbowspace.com/secure/20111019095245171481), or the mobile-friendly application linked here (https://ww04.elbowspace.com/secure/m20111019095245171481)
2) Complete the Demographic Survey linked here (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/56ZKPCJ)
LASNNY is committed to the creation of an inclusive and diverse workplace and providing Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action to all applicants. We strongly encourage applications from women, BIPOC, LGBTQ persons, protected veterans, applicants and recipients of public assistance, the elderly and people with disabilities.