Office Assistant - WIC Program
This position plays an integral role in the LifeWorks Community Action WIC Department, (Women Infant Children) providing clinic and office support to the staff. Will gather information from clients and customers for nutrition assessments and perform a variety of support tasks including but not limited to determining program categorical eligibility along with residential and income eligibility.
- Screen participants for WIC categorical, residential and income eligibility. Post pandemic, will travel with department to various off –site WIC clinics throughout Saratoga County.
- Collect information for the nutrition assessment process, including obtaining anthropometric and hematological data, as trained. Assist with the scanning of documents required for the WIC electronic file.
- Explains program and procedures of the WIC Program to participants, answer participant questions. Responsible for assisting with reminder calls, no-show calls and phone coverage.
- Assists with EBT card issuance, informs WIC participant of their rights and responsibilities, schedules future appointments, inform participant of items needed for next WIC appointment.
- Provide referrals to health and social services, and document follow-up.
- Identify and refer participants to a Competent Professional Authority (CPA) or Qualified Nutritionist.
- Assist Qualified Nutritionists and CPA’s in planning and evaluating participant-centered nutrition education (such as FitWIC, Food demos, etc.).
- Participate in breastfeeding promotion and support.
- Assists with maintaining office cleanliness.
- Must demonstrate a commitment to equity, diversity and an understanding /willingness to learn about systemic barriers to economic mobility.
REQUIREMENTS – please send a letter of interest along with a resume
- High School Diploma/GED and 2 years’ experience in nutrition services and/or a health related field; or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN).
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Experience working with low income families desired.
- Computer skills and knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel, Google Docs, Zoom or other online meeting platforms. Familiarity with mobile devices, online training platforms and software applications helpful.
- Flexible schedule is necessary, must be available for Thursday evening clinic (resuming post pandemic) as well as a rotating schedule for the first Saturday of the month.
- Strong organizational and communication skills (verbal and written), ability to work independently, good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain a positive attitude with staff and participants.
- Provide customer service that is responsive to the unique needs and culture of families, such as single parents, grandparents as caregivers, co-parenting relationships, LGTBQ families, non-English speaking, teen parents, domestic violence situations and more.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple tasks and exercise good judgment.
- Must possess a vehicle and have a valid driver’s license.
- May occasionally be required to drive own vehicle to temporary off-site WIC clinics which will resume post pandemic.
BENEFITS - Position starts at $14.00 per hour.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement
- Paid Vacation, Personal and Sick Time
- Employee Assistance Plan
LifeWorks Community Action, formerly Saratoga County Economic Opportunity Council, is a nonprofit that helps thousands of neighbors each year overcome the challenges of poverty by providing food, early childhood education, energy services, health and wellness, and immigrant services. Popular programs include The Pantry in Ballston Spa and The Kitchen in Saratoga Springs, as well as Head Start, WIC and Weatherization. Help Starts Here.
LifeWorks Community Action promotes diversity, equity and inclusion in all agency programs and services. We welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds who embrace and support an inclusive and equitable work environment. EOE