Pharmacy Skills Lab Instructor
Under limited supervision from the director, responsibilities include providing instruction and supervision to students in the laboratory and lecture hall settings. Provides assessment of student learning and skills development in a laboratory setting. Oversees the organization, operation and maintenance of the Pharmacy Skills Laboratories. Serves as an APPE preceptor and academic advisor to students in PharmD. program. Serves on various department, college and student committees.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates one course per academic year
- Advises and teaches students.
- Continuously reviews course content and adapts course study to meet student needs.
- Grades assignments for submission to the course coordinators or registrar as required.
- Monitors and assesses student performance in a laboratory environment; identifies educational needs and skill development needs; guide and counsel students with adjustment or academic problems, or special academic interests.
- Plans the laboratory activities and recommends supplies and equipment.
- Coordinates the set-up and disassembling of laboratory for weekly activities; answers questions concerning activities and educates students on equipment usage and proper techniques.
- Collaboratively develops lectures and presents material in the lecture setting.
- Collaboratively develops and implements the common threads of the Skills Sequence to provide scaffolding throughout the course sequence.
- Develops tools to assess the educational outcomes of lecture and laboratory activities.
- Reviews and updates course syllabi and learning objectives to reflect current pharmacy practice and curricular outcomes.
- Oversees inventories, requisitions and restocks supplies for the laboratories. Monitors equipment for proper functioning; ensures the performance of routine maintenance and calibrations of equipment and contacts appropriate party to perform repairs.
- Attend department meetings, participates in workshops, and serves on committees and student organizations designed to promote the intellectual, social, and physical welfare of students.
- Attend professional meetings, conferences, and workshops to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Conducts remediation sessions as part of their teaching assignment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of laboratory operation.
- Strong aptitude for teaching.
- Desire to work with students.
- Skills in coordinating the work of others.
· Ability to work and effectively communicate within a team.
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy required
- Valid NYS pharmacy license, registered immunizer and substantial experience as a practicing pharmacist
- Pharm.D. preferred
- Teaching experience at a college or university desirable
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands and fingers, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
For more information or to apply visit https://employment.acphs.edu/postings/1428