The Referral Specialist at Whitney Young Health serves as an integral part of the Practice Team conducting pre-visit planning, population management activities, referral and transition of care coordination and by providing general support to the Practice Team.
· Timely scheduling and tracking of recommended diagnostic imaging
· Schedule appointments with indicated specialist.
· Provide appropriate clinical information to specialists, per referral guidelines.
· Notify patients of the details and expectations for the visit (date, time, if special instructions indicated).
· Confirm complete and accurate registration information, including patient demographic and current insurance information.
· In select cases, remind patients of scheduled appointments via mail or phone.
· Follow-up on no-show patients at the specialists practice.
· Ensure that referrals are addressed in a timely manner.
· Maintain ongoing tracking and appropriate documentation on referrals.
· For designated providers, contact review organizations and insurance companies to ensure prior approval requirements are met. Present necessary medical information such as history, diagnosis and prognosis.
· In collaboration with the clinical and care coordination team, identifies patients in need of care and proactively contacts and schedules appointments for the patients.
· Involved in department performance improvement initiatives.
· Demonstrates excellence in both internal and external customer service.
· Understands and is able to effectively communicate HIPAA compliance, corporate compliance and client confidentiality.
· Ensures and/or remains in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
· Adheres to the National Patient Safety Goals as defined by the Joint Commission and the Whitney M. Young Jr. Health Center.
· Completes other duties as assigned.
High School Graduate / Equivalent with one (1) year experience in a health care setting. Able to take and follow through with delegated tasks and accountability. Ability to demonstrate excellent customer service and strong cultural competency. Teamwork orientation.
Three (3) years’ experience in a health care setting.
Please be aware that as a facility regulated under Article 28 of the New York State Public Health Law, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of employment. Whitney Young Health also requires the COVID-19 booster.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected status.