Restaurant General Manager
GENERAL MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
Objective of the General Manager is to provide an enjoyable dining experience to all guests while operating the shop in a fiscally responsible and efficient manner in line with the revenue, expense and profitability goals of ownership. An additional emphasis should be placed on providing a positive work atmosphere for staff, thru leadership, support and guidance in this fast paced environment.
Benefits include: Health Insurance, Paid Time Off, Free meals, Simple IRA Matching 3%
The following duties are essential, but not limited to, requirements of the General Manager:
- Maintain clear, articulate & honest communication with the Owners, customers, staff and vendors.
- Ensure the highest level of satisfaction for every guest, creating a memorable experience while ensuring the delivery of fast/friendly service and quality products.
- Primary representative of West End Bagels in handling customer complaints and/or issues
- Control costs through efficient inventory control and waste management.
- Evaluate cost effectiveness of the operation. Develop and implement cost-saving and profit-enhancing measures.
- Oversee all ordering and inventory
- Bring expenses in line with industry standards, primarily food costs and payroll
- Ensure an enjoyable work environment for team members and guest
- Manage staff in an efficient and effective manner
- Follow & enforce shop policies and procedures
- Provide “real time” on shift development to team members and supervisors thru tactful and effective methods
- Perform ongoing evaluation of all team members to ensure the best possible people are part of the organization
- Create efficient weekly staffing schedule; ensure clear work assignments and breaks are strategically taken throughout the work day
- Interview, select, train and supervise staff for optimal performance
- Provide on-boarding package to all new employees & answer any questions they may have
- Efficiently delegate responsibilities to Assistant Manager & Shift Supervisor
- Maintain store cleanliness, service, sanitation and safety
- Ensure maintenance of equipment by calling for repairs and training staff on proper use.
- Offer suggestions/methods on how to optimally market and promote the shop. .
- Ensure catering orders and deliveries meet or exceed guest expectations
OTHER ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Move throughout the shop to visually monitor and take action to ensure food quality, cleanliness and service standards are met
- Assess appearance and taste of products and check preparation methods to determine quality. Give guidance toward improvement and make necessary adjustments for consistency.
- Upload invoices and tip sheets to web based Drop Box application
- Ensure that all standards and cash handling procedures are met.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal laws.
- Ensure adequate staffing levels for anticipated business during shift
- Maintain cleanliness of the shop – prep area, dining room and back of house
- Must be able to perform any position needed including: ie. opening and closing store, baking & food prep
- Provide clean and safe environment by assigning and following up with cleaning assignments
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY .
- 5 years previous restaurant management experience is a must
- Thorough knowledge of Food & Beverage outlet operations including foods, beverages, supervisory aspects, service techniques and guest interaction.
- Considerable skill in math using percentages.
- Ability to walk, stand, and/or bend continuously to perform essential job functions
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing, with employees & guests, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy to defuse anger and to collect accurate information and to resolve problems.
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Experience with hiring and training staff
- Familiarity with operational flow
- Must be able to functionally perform all restaurant positions; must be flexible to cover them if needed
- Must have reliable transportation, especially in inclement weather