Job Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Location: Lake Luzerne, NY and remote work as needed
Reports to: Volunteer Director
Salary: $48,750 annually
About Us: The mission of the Double H Ranch is to provide specialized programs and year-round support for children and their families dealing with chronic and life-threatening illnesses. Our purpose is to enrich their lives and provide camp experiences that are memorable, exciting, fun, empowering, physically safe, and medically sound. All programs are FREE of charge and capture the magic of the Adirondacks.
The Operations team is responsible for implementing programs that impact campers and families. The main goals for the Operations team are to provide engaging, safe, and intentional programs for our campers and families supported by volunteers and paid staff members. As a team we are focused on teamwork, creative ideas and always asking “how does this impact the kids”.
The Volunteer Coordinator is part of the Operations team and supervised by the Volunteer Director. The goal of the Volunteer Coordinator role is to inspire and encourage a mutually beneficial relationship for new and current volunteers in line with best practice in volunteer management.
About the Role: The Volunteer Coordinator is a key role to delivering the highest quality volunteer experiences that have a direct impact on our mission. This is a full-time year-round position that will be responsible for recruitment and selection, onboarding and training, and retention and recognition of volunteers.
The typical work schedule is Monday - Friday, 8-4 or 9-5 but this varies with seasonal fluctuations based on program requirements. Flexibility to assist on evenings and weekends, remotely or in person, with occasional residential duties is needed.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process volunteer applications, schedule and conduct interviews, make selection decisions using established policies, process application paperwork including contacting referees and confirming background checks are completed.
- Establish consistent onboarding procedures to welcome new volunteers and set expectations for their involvement and support the coordination and delivery of orientation and training for all volunteers.
- Maintain accurate volunteer records including initial application details and all subsequent involvement in a custom Operations database according to established data protection and records management policies.
- Coordinate and collaborate with internal teams to understand and determine the current and changing needs of the organization and communicate expectations by email and phone to ensure volunteers are informed and prepared for their assignments.
- Coordinate the day-to-day scheduling of volunteers to ensure appropriate levels of support for each activity are available and take initiative to find creative resourcing solutions as required.
- Respond to volunteer inquiries in a timely manner with information about what opportunities are currently available (depending on eligibility), how to get involved and share information about alternative opportunities when necessary.
- Draft volunteer communication using MailChimp to ensure volunteers are informed and up to date on their areas of interest.
- Conduct regular evaluation in person and using surveys to monitor volunteer satisfaction and effectiveness and use results to inform decision-making on the continuation of volunteer roles or individual volunteer relationships.
- Organize, implement, and track recognition efforts, awards, and appreciation events for volunteers.
- Inform Volunteer Director of any significant changes to volunteer application numbers, notable trends, successes, or issues and proactively identify and suggest improvements to the success, efficiency, and accessibility of the volunteer application process.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor. Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
The following are required and should be reflected in your resume and cover letter.
- IT proficient including Microsoft Office (Excel/Word/PowerPoint), experience with database software and data management (applicant tracking systems), and virtual communication tools (Zoom, Slack, Skype).
- Ability to work independently, make decisions, problem solve, and adhere to priorities while working in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Active listening skills and knowing how and when to show empathy.
- Experience with public speaking and working in a public facing environment.
- Sound administration skills including record keeping with meticulous attention to detail.
COVID-19 Addendum - Emergency Needs In 2021: Double H Ranch is committed to safely providing programs for children with serious illnesses. We have evaluated all models of program to determine how and when we can provide onsite programming. In conjunction with local public health, NYS and CDC guidelines and under the guidance of the recommendations of our Medical Advisory Board, we will continue monitoring the COVID-19 situation and require all paid and volunteer staff to be flexible in how we respond to the needs of our population within this context to provide safe fun.
The Volunteer Coordinator will be hired with the intention of the above role and responsibilities; however, with the emergency needs of COVID-19, some responsibilities and scheduling may be altered as needed to support the program. This may include but is not limited to the following:
- Coordinate virtual volunteer opportunities and events
- Support virtual camper or family activities and events
- Assist with procurement, packaging, and delivery of camp care packages
- Perform administrative tasks for camper and family admissions
Expectations of Double H Ranch Employees:
- Responsible for knowing and adhering to organizational policies and procedures
- Act as a role model within the Double H community
- Maintain a positive and respectful attitude with all families, campers, staff, volunteers, and donors
- Provide tours for the public, prospective volunteers, and donors when needed
- Report any acts of maltreatment, neglect, and/or any other violation of policies immediately to the Director of Operations or HR Director.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion: The Double H Ranch is a non-discriminatory organization committed to inclusion and equity. Our organization strives to ensure that everyone, regardless of ability, age, cultural background, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, ideology, income, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or any other identifying label is accepted and has the opportunity to reach their full potential with dignity. Our core values set the foundation for celebrating our campers, volunteers, staff, and entire Double H Ranch community, as well as maintaining a safe and inclusive environment in all aspects of the work we do.
Double H Ranch families, campers, staff, and volunteers may face systemic barriers, and through our mission we seek to create equitable, accessible opportunities for all populations in our service. We celebrate and honor the diverse perspectives of our community and are committed to continually providing an inclusive environment. We believe this is essential to providing the best possible experience for everyone at Double H Ranch.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Double H Ranch believes in providing equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants because of race (including traits historically associated with race), color, religion, sex, disability, genetic information, reproductive health decision making, predisposition or carrier status, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, domestic violence victim status, or any other class or status protected by applicable law.
Equal employment opportunities will be extended to all persons in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including, but not limited to, recruitment, testing/selection, hiring, orientation, training, placement, employee development, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, educational assistance, layoff and recall, social and recreational programs, employee facilities, termination, and retirement. Applicants for employment will be evaluated and employees will be promoted on the basis of qualifications to meet the requirements of the position and ability to perform in a satisfactory manner.
- Simple Pension Plan
- Paid Holidays, Vacation, Sick Days
- Paid Bereavement Leave
- Medical, Dental & Vision Plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- Short and Long-term Disability Plans
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program for staff and eligible family members
- Access to additional professional development opportunities through organizational membership of the SeriousFun Children’s Network and American Camping Association.
How to Apply: Please send us your resume and cover letter which should include examples that provide evidence of how you meet the essential knowledge, skills, and experience. Please share what inspired you to apply for this role – what is it about our work that attracted you to Double H Ranch and the position.
We understand that the application process can be difficult, and we want to make it as easy as possible for you to shine. Please let us know what we can do to accommodate you.
The deadline for applications is Sunday, November 7th at 11:59pm EST. Interested applicants should please submit a resume and cover letter to: Lisa Boucher, HR Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Selection process: First-round interviews will take place virtually beginning the week of November 15th. If you’re invited to an interview, you may be requested to prepare and/or complete a short task in advance – we’ll provide all the details in the invitation to interview. We will also invite you to talk to us about any reasonable adjustments which would support you in fully taking part in the interview process