Work Year: 10-month employee
Reports To: High School Principal
The mission of Albany Leadership Charter School for Girls is to prepare young women to graduate from high school with the academic and leadership skills necessary to succeed in college and the career of their choosing.
Resolve and Resiliency
Albany Leadership Charter School for Girls will be a recognized leader in single-sex secondary education for young women. It will foster a community of scholars dedicated to life-long learning and committed to improving their communities through their pursuit of post-secondary endeavors.
Commitment to Excellence
ALCS is a family with the highest of expectations for our daughters, particularly in regards to academic achievement. Our goal is to position our girls so that their senior year can be focused on successfully transitioning to their post-secondary pursuits. If we set the standard, our daughters will rise to the challenge. We emphasize the importance of leadership through scholarship and service. “One leader changes everything” is not just a slogan students hear; it is a belief they are taught to manifest.
There are three major advantages for girls who are educated in a single gender school, include: expanded educational opportunity, custom-tailored learning and instruction, and greater autonomy of thought and expression. Single gender schools help to foster an environment where their students think for themselves and take control of their own lives. By eliminating false gender stereotypes, all female schools can liberate and empower their girls to explore various subjects and pursue excellence in all disciplines. It is for these reasons that ALCS believes that the opportunity to experience a single-gender education, should be one that is offered freely to any and all girls who would choose it.
The high school mathematics teacher will work to develop students’ academic and interpersonal skills through the mathematics course of study. The course of study will be implemented in accordance with the school approved curriculum. The teacher will document teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; address specific educational needs of students; provide a safe and optimal learning environment; and provide feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations and goals. In addition, the teacher will support the Advancement via Individual Determination (AVID) school wide initiatives as well as the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL) competencies within their teaching.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, SKILLS, AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following statements of duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position.
Provide a variety of classroom techniques and methods.
- Promote high levels of achievement in relation to individual student abilities.
- Use techniques and methodologies appropriate to student abilities.
- Utilize current and relevant subject matter.
Demonstrate knowledge of and abilities to use research-based principles of effective instruction.
- Organize instruction using learning objectives with clearly defined student outcomes.
- Employ teaching strategies congruent with planned student outcomes.
- Select teaching strategies emphasizing student involvement.
- Monitor student learning and pace instruction accordingly.
Develop and maintain an environment conducive to effective student learning.
- Develop written rules of classroom behavior and communicate those rules to all students.
- Enforce written rules for classroom behavior as well as school developed behavioral taxonomy.
- Communicate course goals and academic expectations to students.
- Provide for the health and safety of students in all instructional settings.
Prepare effectively for class.
- Prepare daily lesson plans.
- Provide instruction predicated on course goals objectives, aligned with New York State adopted standards.
- Communicate appropriate grading standards to students.
- Assure that grading standards are explained and available to parents.
Develop and maintain positive interpersonal relationships.
- Model personal behaviors of honesty, fairness, courtesy, consideration, respect, and cultural awareness and responsibility.
- Maintain a cooperative relationship with administration, staff, students and parents.
- Share appropriate information with parents and with other staff members.
Provide documentation of students’ progress.
- Provide timely and accurate feedback/documentation to students, parents, and appropriate staff members.
- Assign and check homework and provide feedback to students.
- Maintain appropriate records of student performance.
Build motivation and interest in learning.
- Exhibit personal interest and encourage student interest in the subject area.
- Maintain a current awareness of literature/activities in the subject area.
Maintain an ongoing personal program of professional growth and development.
- Develop and implement annually an approved plan for professional growth and development.
- Identify and request to attend professional workshop activities intended to increase the teacher’s instructional effectiveness.
- Participate in school-sponsored in-service offerings appropriate to assignment.
To perform this job successfully, the teacher must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and dispositions required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with less than required attributes or with disabilities to perform the essential functions to expectations.
- Work effectively with and respond to people from diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech and dress in a neat, clean and appropriate professional manner for the assignment and work setting.
- Have regular and punctual attendance.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- BA/BS or higher degree (required) with a major in one or more of the following areas: Mathematics Education, Applied Mathematics, Curriculum, Elementary Education, Secondary Education, Business
- Master’s Degree preferred
- NYS Teaching Certification preferred
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance